- Anyone who knew me through my first pregnancy knows I’m pretty passionate about exercise during pregnancy. I have a strict “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy with my doctors regarding my physical activity. Why’s that? With Arabella, I found their advice is so rigid and out of touch, that it was best I keep my mouth shut. Sometimes you just know more than a doctor. Anyway, some “new” research has come out regarding fetal heart rate and maternal exercise. This isn’t really new information to anyone who has read Exercising Through Your Pregnancy by James Clapp III. But, I am excited to see at least a tiny bit of information leak out regarding specific benefits to exercise during pregnancy.
- Many people don’t know this, but the women’s basketball team at Old Dominion University has an unreal history of success. They were one of the few schools leading the effort nationally to offer athletic scholarships to women via basketball. The result? The DOMINATED in the Colonial Athletic Association and on the national stage for roughly 20 years. Winning something like 20 conference titles in a row and having appearances in the Sweet 16. Unfortunately, their long-time coach, Wendy Larry, was pushed out last year for reasons I won’t comment on. But I will say, this situation is like Tennessee not renewing Pat Summit’s contract. ESPN’s Mechelle Voepel has an excellent piece on the subject here.
- Fooducate sheds light on what has been going on with the childhood obesity fight in Georgia. An intense and shocking ad campaign has started and people are having some pretty strong reactions. These ads are similar in nature to the “fat ads” plastered all over the NY subways a few years ago.
- The New York Times has a fascinating piece on binge drinking across the U.S. As the author puts it – “it’s not just the usual suspects” (high school and college kids), the most regular binge drinkers are over the age of 35. And, if you read the article, the survey respondents are CRUSHING alcohol with an average of over 7 drinks per binge! I would absolutely need to go to the hospital if I ever approached drinking that much. Personally, I think that’s pretty gross and irresponsible behavior whether from a health standpoint of from a “you’re an adult and should know better” standpoint. Not surprisingly, D.C. ranks at the top of the market.
- Finally, check out Stevo’s post debating the use of many exercises or one exercise to get the best bang-for-your-buck!
Enjoy the weekend and don’t forget to take a few seconds to share our posts on Facebook and Twitter – we appreciate the support!